Saturday, March 14, 2009

Luck + Cash = Girl Scout Cookies


Girl Scouts never come to our door selling cookies, which is too bad, because we buy just about everything that some kid is selling--football, cheerleading, Boy Scouts, and especially band. (But for some reason, I don't buy anything from those kids who are part of some program to "keep them off the streets"--obviously not working.) We're only able to score GS cookies once every few years, and it's usually by chance. I got some several years ago because someone at work was selling on behalf of her daughter. My son and his friend happened upon some in the parking lot at The Canyons ski resort.

Leaving work on Friday, I found a few girls selling boxes at on the corner across from the bottom of the Maeser hill, just off BYU campus. Knowing the city of Provo, this is probably illegal. Let's hope that if they police did show up, they bought some cookies before moving the little girls along.

The other amazing fact was that I actually happened to have some cash in my wallet--enough for two boxes. ($3.50 per is the going rate.) My favorites? Thin Mints and Do-Si-Dos.

A word to moms and other adult leaders who help with the cookie sale--let the girls actually do the selling. When I got to the little card table, I asked the girls if they had Thin Mints. The adult accompanying them took over immediately. Remember, Courage, Confidence,and Character. Girls will learn this by taking the responsibility themselves. The adults should just be kicking back in a lawn chair nearby.

7 comments:

Dale said...

Uh, are you going to eat all those Thin Mints?

Anonymous said...

I didn't realise the Girl Scouts were still around.

Cheryl said...

I'm so glad to have you blogging again! You've been missed for a long time. And Girl Scout cookies provide such a universal bond with all of us. I like thin mints and Trefoils.

Anonymous said...

I agree with you on this. I guess thats the main point why they let the girls do this, right?

Unknown said...

Why don't the Boy Scouts sell something? At least they could set up stands next to the Girl Scouts and sell milk.

Anonymous said...

Agree, let the girls do it so they can experienced what it is like.

Gary Hatch said...

Boy Scouts sell Trails End popcorn, which isn't quite the same as the cookie movement. Some of us actually know the "popcorn guy" for this region really well. I really like the Trails End popcorn that is already popped. The microwave tastes good too, but for some reason our microwave likes to burn it.