Thursday, June 7, 2007

Stevenett's Malt Shoppe

It's currently just called "The Malt Shoppe" and I'm pretty sure there is a different set of owners (although The Malt Shoppe refers to itself as an "icon for ages"). But back when I was a student it was just Stevenett's (1984-1992?). (Did it become something else after that? Before it became The Malt Shoppe?) I don't ever remember eating any of the food there, although we must have had a burger or fries or something. But I do remember the shakes and the root beer floats. This is one of the first places I remember having thick shakes with mix-ins (which you can now find everywhere). Big thick Oreo shakes, or Butterfinger shakes. And on Monday nights, they would have root beer floats or 99 cents. When we were first married, AnneMarie and I would save up our spare change, and when we had enough, we would head for Stevenett's for a root beer float. I'm sure the people at the counter hated getting all the loose change, but it's what we had (and it's still acceptable as money, right?).

The Malt Shoppe offers half off shakes on Wed nights for BYU/UVSC students. I wonder if it's the same.

1 comment:

Shaun said...

Yup, different set of owners since 1992, the year I returned off my mission. My parents sold it the month I came home. We had some great times there. The place now is run down and I believe an Asian family now owns it. Crazy.

Glad you enjoyed it.

Shaun Stevenett
Draper, UT