Friday, April 10, 2009

Five Guys Burgers and Fries




The first thing you notice when you walk into Five Guys is the bags and bags of potatoes. They form a little wall that you walk by as you go up to the counter to place your order. (I went to the Fort Union restaurant.) And there is a sign on the wall that indicates where "today's potatoes" came from. (The potatoes I had were from Rigby, ID--home of the Rigby High School Trojans.) I guess this is for those who understand the subtle nuances of regional tuber varieties (like wine or single-malt whiskey or single origin coffee, I guess. Perhaps we could set up a potato tasting. "This is a fine Rigby potato, so much better than an Idaho Falls variety. I hear that they may have a rare Swan Valley tomorrow. Have you tried the Moses Lake?" (Actually 5 Guys only uses Idaho potatoes. Sorry.)

$10 will get you a regular cheeseburger, regular order of french fries and a regular drink. This sounds like a lot for a "combo meal," but you need to put this in perspective. The "regular" cheeseburger is two large patties (1/3 pound). The cheeseburger is at least as tall as it is wide. You can also order a "small," which is just one patty. Most places ask if you want to make your hamburger bigger. I kind of like the attitude of a place where the "regular" is large, and you have to "mini-size" it. Looking at their nutritional chart, I figure the regular cheeseburger has easily 1000 calories--more if you add bacon. The hamburgers come with your choice of toppings. I ordered mine "all the way" with their suggested list, just to see how they imagined the ideal burger: mayo, mustard, ketchup, tomatoes, lettuce, Mt. Olive kosher pickles, grilled onions and grilled mushrooms (this last one is a little unorthodox, but a nice touch). On request, you can add fresh onions, Mt. Olive kosher relish, jalepeno peppers, hot sauce, A-1 sauce, or Cattleman's BBQ sauce. They pay a lot of attention to the patties here (each one is hand formed and never frozen), so there is the danger of too many toppings. Next time I might just get the mayo and the relish.

A regular order of french fries is actually a "small" (as is the drink). However, to create a regular order of fries, they fill a 10 oz styrofoam cup with hand-cut fries, and then dump at least that much again into the bag. There are easily more "bagglers" than official fries.

They are an efficient team at 5 Guys, so even though they make everything to order, you don't have to wait very long. But while you wait, you can help yourself to bulk peanuts in the shell--a nice bit of Virgina. (The nuts are not allowed to leave the restaurant--but I smuggled a few out in my bag.)

Five Guys began almost 25 years ago in Arlington, VA--basically the DC area--but it has now spread throughout the country. There are currently over 300 restaurants, with Utah locations in Bountiful, West Valley, Fort Union, Sandy, and Orem (the newest). 5 Guys has an east-coast feel (kosher ingredients, anyone?) and provides an nice, meaty alternative to all the California burger clones in the area. Its primary decor consists of signs praising itself. It does have a Zagat Survey rating for best hamburger in DC--the only chain to receive this honor. 5 Guys serves up fry sauce in addition to ketchup. Is this an accommodation to the local culture, or is this also the case at their other restaurants? This raises again the question: Will In-N-Out offer fry sauce when it eventually opens in Utah Valley?

4 comments:

Heather Hammond said...

My first experience at Five Guys was in Orlando at an Outlet Mall. Not impressed. I went to the new store in Orem, and the burger was fantastic. Reminded me of my beloved Brand X burger. The fries? Why do they taste burned? They are on the map because of their start-to-finish fries, but I'm not a fan. However, since we're talking potatoes, and you mentioned their origins...All hail Moses Lake (Washington), the highest potato yielding county in the world (sorry Idaho), and my beloved home.

Anonymous said...

Tried 5 guys for the first time. Went to their new location in Renton, WA. They should use Washington potatoes here.

The atmosphere was way too noisy for my taste so I took my meal home to eat.

I tried the little hamburger. Its not very little at 480 calories and 26 grams of fat but it tasted really good.

I also ordered regular fries...
which is the smallest they had. I wish I had read this article first. They gave me way too many fries. I had no idea that they added extra to the bag. I have enough for 3 or 4 people. I hope they'll taste good tomorrow and the next day.

If I choose to go here again (Not sure if its worth it for all those calories.) I will ask for less fries or bring a bunch of friends to share them with.

Sean J. said...

Hi Gary, I'm an English graduate student at BYU and enjoy reading your blog. I've tried eating at several new places because of your recommendations. Thanks for sharing.

You mentioned that you wonder if In-N-Out will offer fry sauce in Utah Valley, to accommodate the local culture. I used to live a mile from an In-N-Out location in Sacramento and ate there all the time, and I used to get fry sauce every visit. In fact, all the In-N-Out locations I've visited in California (probably five or so) have served fry sauce. So you can definitely expect fry sauce to be available at the Utah County locations. It seems to me that fry sauce is pretty common everywhere now, not just in Utah.

Julie said...

Thank you for the review on Five Guys. We recently received a gift card to Five Guys. The nearest one is the Orem location. I think your picture will entice my meat loving husband to go with me tonight and wait in the legendary long lines for dinner.