Wednesday, April 29, 2009

JCW's enters California Burger Wars

I've covered pretty extensively in this blog the In-N-Out/Chadders/Route 66 battle to establish the best "California-style" burger here in Utah. (Just follow the "hamburgers" tag.") Now JCW's is in on the game, although in a pretty modest way. Now the JCW's menu includes a "single single" or "double double," a cheeseburger with American cheese, grilled onions, toasted bun, fry sauce (of course) and tomato/lettuce on the bottom. I tried this recently and thought it was OK, but it comes in fourth behind In-N-Out (#1), Chadders (#2), and Route 66 (#3). (The bottom bun was falling apart--too much fry sauce?) Besides, why would you order such a burger at JCW's when you can get either a guac/bacon burger or their pastrami burger. JCW's compares favorably with what I call the "Greek Burger" establishments (Crown Burger, Apollo Burger, Burgers Supreme), not with the California style.

Chadder's is opening a new restaurant on 9th east in Provo, across from Stan's (the previous home of Hogi Yogi). I think you would drive past it to get to a McDonald's tucked behind it.

3 comments:

Heather Hammond said...

The McD's tucked behind disappeared long ago. I lamented because I used to purchase my ghetto juice syrup at that location (the other McDs looked at me cross-eyed when I tried to get it). This is going to prove to be quite the temptation as it is just outside of Gold's Gym. However, I'm glad to now have an option instead of Stan's.

Gary Hatch said...

ghetto juice syrup? I assume you mean "McDonald's Orange Drink"? I have to confess that I'm more of an Orange Tang guy when it comes to the hard stuff. You need to mix it thick enough that you can stand up a spoon. I also like hot Tang on a cold morning--good for a cold. And the astronauts drank it.

Nanette said...

JCW's pastrami burgers... mmmmm! Why would they even think for a second they need to have the same burgers as In-n-Out?!?