Friday, May 18, 2007

Wingers

My oldest son had to work tonight (at Wendy's) so we took the younger two to Wingers. The kids like it because they get free popcorn, and they have pretty good meals for kids. But I always find myself a little disappointed. AnneMarie and I split a mango chicken salad with a poppyseed dressing. It sounds like a good recipe, but the mangos were still a little cold.

You're probably safe if you stick with their wings and ribs. I like their Amazing Sauce, but AnneMarie finds it too sweet. As I recall, they used to have a sweet sauce (the Winger's sauce), and a spicer BBQ sauce, but they've gone to a new menu, so some things have changed (such as no celery with the wings. How can they be Buffalo wings without celery?)

But spending just more than $20 we got free dessert, so that worked out all right. Wingers isn't unique to Utah, but it started here, and most of the restaurants are here too. There are Wingers in Orem, Provo, American Fork, Lehi, and several other places in Utah. They are also found in WA, OR, ID, WY, NV (but not California). There are also restaurants in Germany on the military bases. What's the story there?

1 comment:

Josh Daniels said...

I have never had better wings than this place. For me it is simple: Wingers is for wings--duh. So when I go, I order the appetizer order of 12 or 18 wings (depending on how many wings my wife wants). Thats it. Just wings (remember it's wingers). Sometimes the servers get confused (that isn't weird though because Wingers usually only hires really lost-not so great employee-high school girls. I rarely can stomach tipping them more than the standard 15% sometimes even 12% the service is so bad) Despite the service by wannabe "valley girl" high school female attitudes, the wings are amazing. Although it seems they have gone down in taste and overall quality (crispiness, hot temperature--mine are frequently colder than they should be--etc.) Still a favorite.